Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Why it's so hard to change

This article is very eye opening and makes so much sense:

http://www.oprah.com/article/omagazine/omag_200701_change

I think this helps explain why I have been successful this time versus all the other times I have tried to lose weight.

1. I am externally motivated. I care more about what other people think than about what I think - so I need to have someone else expect me to stay on track.
2. I am motivated by praise - hearing others tell me I am doing well is much more powerful for me than doing it myself.
3. I am motivated by value - and believe in getting the most out of my money - so I'm not going to spend the money on the doctor and then just throw it away.

These 3 things tap into my dopamine receptors. The 4th thing that has helped is coming up with recipes that still taste like comfort food - and therefore give me the dopamine I need.

The funny thing is - now that I have been using these recipes for several months, I actually crave them more than the bad stuff. I tasted a piece of red velvet cake the other night, and then decided I would rather have my cheesecake made with cottage cheese. That's not the old me. So it sounds like I have been able to reprogram my dopamine receptors with substitutes for the things I really love.

I hope you find this article helpful and use what you learn in the article to help reprogram your brain for good.

P.S. I do have a few copies of the first draft of the book for sale - but I am still working on some things so I don't want to put a lot of effort into printing until I am ready. If you can't wait, send me an email and I will send you one. The cost of the book is $20 including shipping, and anyone who purchases the draft will also receive a copy of the final version for just $5, which is to cover my printing costs and postage.

No comments: